A Blog describing my learning journey about Educational Sciences and Technology focused mainly on the topics discussed during the course: Pedagogies for Flexible Learning by Petra Fisser

maandag 22 november 2010

Reflection on learning TPACK (and maybe gaining some myself)

When looking back at this course I immediately have to think of my preconceptions going in. I thought technology was for the student much more than it was for the teacher. During this course I have come to see though that technology is much more for teachers as well.

Working with the TPACK-model has shown me that there's more than one way to tackle a problem. Most importantly, not every technology integration has to start from the technology, it's often not even the best idea to do so. Maybe it's sometimes a better idea to first look critically at what you're teaching and how you're teaching it and than look at if you can integrate technology. But sometimes it can be a nice challenge to look and see, how can I change my teaching style or content covered with this new type of technology that I like. I feel that as I become a better educational designer this model, and some of the accompanying tools such as the RUBIC or the Survey can help me greatly in seeing things from more than one perspective. And I'm well-aware that I can use this perspective at times.

When used to design an actual product the TPACK framework once again showed it's strengths (and maybe some weaknesses). We tried to actually incorporate TPACK both as something to be taught and something to be taught with. I do feel that the model sometimes looks a bit too much at the technology aspect, or perhaps that was still me using the model to incorporate technology rather than letting myself be guided by content or pedagogies, something to perhaps look more into the next time I use this model.

Before closing I'd like to less look back and more look forward. How can we help teachers in integrating technology. I feel that this comes from using the model to see how C and P knowledge integrate with technology. In this way the teachers think about what am I teaching, how am I doing it and how can I support this. During my most recent courses I've come to see that starting with technology might not always be the best idea, but cynicism has this tendency to run strong with me so perhaps I'm overly critical now. Again, something to be aware of for the next time I use this model, to try and see how can we use this to jump-start novel technology use. My class-mates had some interesting ideas (which you can see on their blogs probably by going to my friends-list -->) which I am interested in trying out.

And finally I'd just like to say: Doing this course was a blast, I can see the elements of TPACK as they came to live during this course and the things we learned opened my eyes for trying out new things. Let's see if I can keep everyone up to date on my progress with this on this blog. Hopefully I'll talk with you on this blog soon, I look forward to your ideas on what TPACK means for you!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten