A Blog describing my learning journey about Educational Sciences and Technology focused mainly on the topics discussed during the course: Pedagogies for Flexible Learning by Petra Fisser

zondag 10 oktober 2010

Innovative use of CMS' in Flexible Learning

After reading several more blogs about the use of CMS' in different pedagogies I've stumbled across a few things that kept my mind busy as well. First of all we all seem the share the same ideas, maybe we're being to influenced by what we're discussing in class or outside of it and starting to create a hive-mind.


Secondly I feel I and others with me could perhaps benefit a bit for some more out of the box thinking. We're highly locking into the use of CMS' in the ways we're using them ourselves I feel. And this way of use is dictated by our teachers, who might not be all that comfortable in using these technological tools. From experience I can at least attest to there being a huge difference in Blackboard usage between teachers. 


So how can we do something about this, well we could start a discussion together, what are ways of using CMS' in flexible learning that we've not yet seen all that much. Personally I feel that there's more ways of collaborative learning that can take place, not just the sharing of data but actively working together via web-editing tools to work in the same document at the same time for example. I also think that for group work an integrated planning system could help for groups that heavily divide work and are not working all together all that much. A task list can help get a quick overview of what's left to do. Such a list can for example by provided by the teacher as a guide for the students. 


But those are just my ideas, what are yours?

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi Frank,

    I share the impression with you about everybody writing down the same ideas. Indeed, I think that we are heavily influenced by the discussions in class, but also the texts we are reading. Maybe, if everybody would write a conclusion which says how far the own ideas before reading the text and the way the text changed the view on the topic would help, to better reflect and more critically think about e.g. the use of CMS'.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hi Frank,

    I read your post and I think a planning system (or task list) can be a good idea, but do you mean that teachers should add this to the Blackboard environment? Indeed it would be very handy to have a kind of organiser for the whole group. Another think that gets my interest is that you are talking about web-editing tools to work in the same document. In some projects during my Bachelor me and my group were using 'Dropbox'. This is a program that every member of the group has to download (www.dropbox.com) and than you can share all your documents very easily. If someone of the group has added a document, every member of the group will see a pop-up. Moreover, you can see when somebody is working in a document. In this way you will never work in the same document and there are many more useful aspects about this program. It's very easy to use, so I can definitely recommend it..

    Thomas

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen